Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is Saturday! Some people can’t wait and have been planning on how to celebrate for weeks if not months. Why? Because they love to celebrate love. But others dread it. They feel obligated to prove their affection for their significant other. And then there are those who wish to skip the day altogether because Valentine's Day reminds them they are single.

 I remember last year, I spent Valentine's Day volunteering at my kids' school. Part of my job was taking flowers and cards to different rooms. One of my deliveries was to a student in first grade—six red roses. The students were gone to Specials, so several of the first grade teachers were visiting in the hall and became very curious when I went into the classroom I did. They all said the teacher would be right back. I told them it wasn’t for the teacher but a student. You could see the let-down when I told them it was for a student. They thought this single first grade teacher had someone new in her life.

 How are you feeling?

 I must confess I have mixed emotions about Valentine's Day. Not because I don’t want to celebrate love, because I do. I have the love of my wife of almost 16 years, I have the love of my beautiful children and my extended family and friends. And I have the greatest unconditional love of God through Jesus Christ that I can celebrate on Saturday.

 I struggle with the influence of the 18 billion dollar holiday. I can get flowers for Allison on Valentine's Day or I can buy them on the day after for 75% off and afford to shower her with flowers on other occasions, which she deserves. Seriously, if you don’t believe me, go to Kroger on Sunday. But if I save the money, I feel horrible. Why? Because I didn’t do what is expected (by culture) to give cards, flowers, and chocolates—all of which are temporary.

Hear me say buying gifts for Valentine's isn’t inherently wrong – and sometimes they are the perfect gifts – but there are so many other ways I can communicate my affection for my wife and kids. But I still feel all the trappings of buying traditional gifts.

As I am writing this blog post, this verse on love came to me: "Jesus said, No one has greater love than to give up one’s life for one’s friends" (John 15:13). In the 15th chapter, John reminds us of how great God’s love is for each and every one of us, and reminds us that the greatest of love is not shown through material items, but through giving completely of ourselves. Maybe the best gift I can give this Valentine's Day is of myself, through intentional acts.

Whether your desk is filled with flowers and chocolates or you're rolling your eyes at it all because you're without a special someone this year, remember this: You are loved by God completely, and that's what matters. And if you are still looking for the best gift to give, consider giving intentional acts which show those you love that they are worthy of your whole being.


No comments: