Saturday, March 8, 2008

Day 28 on the Journey

Saturday – Luke 19: 41 – 44

Jesus cares for all sorts of people and in all sorts of ways. Over the course of our journey, we have witnessed Jesus touch the crippled, speak to the forgotten, eat meals with outcasts, and spend countless hours with deeply troubled people. At the same time, others have argued with him and picked fights. All who encounter him are touched deeply and changed in some way.

I imagine myself sitting next to Jesus at the end of a long day of traveling. We are just outside of Jerusalem. I can see the weariness in his face. Jesus has been weeping for some time. I want to ask him what makes him weep, but I am not completely comfortable asking. I have overheard him in his tears say something about peace. I wonder what I should know in order to pursue peace.

At that moment Jesus turns and asks you questions:

Have you ever cried at the terrible possibilities that may befall people?

What do you think makes for peace?

Questions for Reflection and Comment:

Look at your own city / community / church as Jesus might.

What does Jesus see that other might not see?

What does Jesus feel deeply about that others might not yet have begun to feel?

What does Jesus see?

What stirs his soul to the verge of tears?

What stirs your soul to the verge of tears?

No comments: