Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 37 on the Journey

Wednesday - Luke 23: 13-25

Have you ever wondered about the day Pilot asked who the people wanted to release? I never really understood why they would want a murder let go free and to put Jesus to death. I always thought it was just the work of the religious leaders talking to people in the crowds. It was only this year in my reading through the Gospel of Luke, that something new occurred to me.

Imagined myself in the crowd of people gathered that day. Thought it is hard for me to imagine hating someone enough to inflect the kind of horrible torture we witnessed. It was then when I heard the choices that were before the people. Did we want Jesus or Barabbas. As for the crowd gathered more people knew Barabbas than Jesus in Jerusalem. Barabbas was a murderer, but his crimes were against the Roman soldiers who were occupying our land. Barabbas was insurrectionist. He was known for his boorishness. He killed a Roman soldier and was sentenced to jail.


Jesus on the other hand might have been known by me and others from the north. He was largely unknown in this city.


Questions for Reflection and Comment:

If I had spoken out for Jesus then I was putting myself subject to the sword. I wonder how many in the crowd were like myself. They were afraid to speak up against the injustice because of the fear of being killed or being seen as a roman supporter?

What could you do?


Now consider your life today.

Is there a circumstance in which you wish you could have done more, in which you could have been stronger if not heroic?


Now Imagine speaking to Jesus. What do you want to tell him?

No comments: