Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 15 on the Journey

Friday - Luke 10: 29-37

What a familiar story we read. When you read it are you able to place yourself within the text? Are you able to let what you always heard preach be lost… so you might experience this story fresh and from an eye witness account?

I am sure people were not to happy with the hero being a Samaritan. I have already shares some of my thought about this passage a few days ago (Tuesday). I want to focus my thoughts, reflections, and questions around the topic of our neighbors.

Questions for reflection and comment:

If Jesus was telling this story this to a group of disciples in 2008 who might be the hero?

We strive to welcome, love, forgive, and show compassion, but there are still people who would not be genuinely welcomed at next Sunday’s fellowship meal. Be brutally honest with yourself.

Who are the individuals of our society that our church does not welcome?

What questions would you want to ask Jesus about this story?

I think I would want to know how this story relates to our modern world. For example I would want to know are we supposed to stop and help someone even if it puts our life in danger. We live in a time when “good Samaritans” are prayed upon by robbers and thieves.

I wonder if the story would be different if he told it today. Would Jesus change the situation in which people were going past or ignoring? Would it be someone injured on the street or side of the highway?

Might it be a homeless person in down town Dallas?

No comments: