Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Day 7 on the Journey - Luke 7: 1-10

Jesus Heals –

Jesus heals another person. In the story a man’s faith heals his beloved servant. I have read this story before many times. I have always seen the main topic as faith. Don’t get me wrong faith and healing are important for us to recognize and remember from our followings of Jesus.

However, because we are walking with Jesus everyday and I am encountering Jesus everyday in the way Luke shares his life. I noticed something else. This story is also about loving our enemies. Remember Jesus had just taught us about loving our enemies and then we encounter Jesus living it out.

The Roman occupation was not well received by most of the people. These soldiers used their force in unjust and cruel ways. They would make the Jewish people carry their packs for a mile. They would call them racist and nasty names. The conflict between the Jewish people and the Roman army was clear. It would not have been uncommon for the Jewish community to have made comments like, “the only good Roman is a dead Roman.”

From this story apparently there were some Roman Soldiers who treated citizens kindly. The one in this story not only treated people kindly, but he also helped support the local synagogue in Capernaum. Jesus showed that love for all people no matter where they are from or who they work for they are received with compassion and love.

Questions for reflection and comment:

You are the friend of the Centurion who has been sent to speak to Jesus. How does Jesus receive you?

What does he say to you?

What tone of voice do you hear?

Or

Imagine you have a friend who needs healing and has an equally important need as the centurion’s servant.

Will you go see Jesus?

How do you say to him about your friend?

What request do you want to make of Jesus?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a friend of the Centurion, I am nervous as I meet Jesus. He receives me warmly though I am an occupier. I wonder why someone who should dispise me, does such good acts for my friend. I hear the compassion in His voice and wonder what I am missing...