Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day Two of The Journey

What did you image as you read Luke 4: 31 - 44 today?

I imaged myself as someone in the crowd seeking Jesus after he withdrew from the city. Jesus was healing and curing people. Jesus I am sure had gotten frustrated with the large crowds and the large number of requests for healings. He is only one man. He can not heal everyone. I imaged how people might have gotten upset because Jesus left town and because they had not gotten a chance to have him meet their needs.

I imaged the deserted place Jesus withdrawing to was the old part of the downtown city. I imaged that he thought by getting into a part of town where people do not like to go at night he might find some peace and quiet. I image him warming himself by a 50-gallon barrel that has trash in it burning. As I arrive on the scene, I see the line has begun to wrap around the city block. I watch as Jesus welcomes each person. I watch as he touches, prays with, and listens to each person. This goes on through the night.

I notice that as each persons walks away they are changed… They are different because Jesus has touched them.

Then morning comes. The line is still long, but Jesus leaves. Jesus makes an announcement. He says, “I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities.”

Questions for reflections…

When you read this story where were you?

Are you one of the people who needs Jesus?

Are you one of the family members who experienced Jesus work within your loved ones life?

As you think about all the miracles being done how do you feel?

Can you believe what you are seeing?

How do you react when Jesus says he must move on?

What about all the people who were still in line, what are they thinking?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a day late posting this. I tried to imagine being one of the people who needed to be healed. As the word spread about Jesus being able to heal, I became determined to find Him. It's amazing to see all the people that He has healed. Fortunately I am one of the last that He heals before moving on. I see the bewilderment and confusion in the faces of those still standing in line. It is only later that I realize He moved on to spread His message elsewhere and I must spread the message where I am.