Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Day 18 on the Journey

Tuesday – Luke 14: 1-6

Once again, Jesus is debating with the Pharisees about the Sabbath day. It has been only through reading Luke all they way through the Lenten season that I noticed how many times this happens.

I can just imagine that the disciples and those who were following Jesus got tired of hearing this debate. I do you think they were not getting it or do you think the religious leaders were not getting it? Jesus wants us to act, to care for others, to embrace an enemy, to feed the hungry, and to behave graciously. That is what is closer to being faithful than following strict religious rules about the Sabbath.

I know and you know the Sabbath is important. It is one of the Ten Commandments! The prophet Amos railed against merchants and Sabbath keeping. Sabbath keeping help the captives in Exile to maintain their identity. And after the exile the keeping of the Sabbath was the way new people came to the faith. So we cannot get to upset with the Pharisees can we?

I think Jesus was trying to make a point that tradition for tradition sake is stifling and harmful to the faith. It puts people at risk of losing conscious purpose. Jesus wanted us to remember the content and not just the form.

Questions for reflection and Comment:

If you were there when this came up on the journey…

What would you like say to Jesus?

What would you say to the Pharisees?

When you ask Jesus your question(s) how does he respond?

Imagine after you have shared your questions (maybe even your frustration) with Jesus about this ensuing debate.

How does he respond?

I think I might want to sit them both down and say why can’t you all get along. I would tell them they both have so much to offer. Then I would ask them why they insist on this continued circular discussion.

I also wonder, if Jesus had been challenged by others on this point and asked him to clarify his actions what he might have taught. I wonder if he might have leaned forward in his seat and whispered, No, what I have always had in mind is….”

What does he say?

No comments: