Friday, February 8, 2008

Day 3 of the Journey

A Fishing Story – Luke 5: 1-11

First, can you imagine being a professional (insert your job) fisherman and a carpenter walking up and telling you how to do your job. How that make you feel? What might have been your response? Think about working all night to catch some food and coming up with nothing and then Jesus comes along and wants you to go back out again. How would you have felt then?

Even if Jesus was my friend, (which I think is safe to say he was friends with these men by this time in his ministry) I am not sure I would have liked being told how to do my job. I can imagine they must have put up a few objections before they gave in to Jesus instructions.

Once they went, they were rewarded. How is Jesus urging or instructing you?

A Healing Story Luke 5: 12-16

When I read this passage this morning, I was wondering, how could Jesus do anything else but heal this man with leprosy? The man actually told Jesus he could heal him if he wanted to. Why wouldn’t he want to? Was the man trying to make Jesus feel guilty? It was obvious that the man need to be healed. Why couldn’t he just say so?

How did Jesus feel?

Other Questions to think about and comment upon:

Why did Jesus tell him not to tell?

Also why did he send him to the priest?

He was already cleans, why did he need the priest to sign off on things?

Did the healed man follow Jesus command?

Did he go and tell others?

Did he ever get to the priest?

One last idea:

The disciples initially balk at Jesus instructions to go out to deeper water. Jesus is urging you today... so what keeps you from go to the deeper water?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that verse 12 describes a lot of people in that they are waiting for Jesus to come into their lives, as opposed to inviting Him into their lives. Their egos prevent them from admitting that they need Him. Instead of saying "God I can't handle this by myself and I need your help", they take the approach of until God fixes this problem I won't invite Him into my life.
Since verse 15 says that the news about Him was spreading even farther, I think that the healed man did tell others.
Good final question, I know that I'm in deeper water today than I was a year ago, but I tend to be my own stumbling block.